GETTING A DACHSHUND OF YOUR OWN
People often ask us for recommendations on where to get a dachshund.
Long Dogs WA is a social walking group for dachshund owners in Western Australia. We do not represent any specific breeders. We urge anyone thinking of getting a dachshund to read the following guidelines on responsible breeders.
Responsible breeders - A responsible breeder will recognise that today’s society puts a large expectation on the role that a dog plays in our lives today. There is a high priority on the well being of the breeding of dogs both socially and physically.
When you are purchasing a pup, you are taking on the responsibility for that dog for approximately 10-15 years. It is therefore important you do your homework and ask the right questions.
By doing your research, you will help to support ethical and responsible breeding for a healthier future generation of the breed and have a happy, healthy new family member.
A responsible breeder will:
- Undertake the responsibility of ensuring that they (the breeder) produce puppies that are healthy and have a good temperament (including relevant vaccinations and m/chip work).
- Make certain they have safe and caring homes waiting for them.
- Do careful research and have knowledge with mating, genetic research, disease control and understanding issues with the particular breed.
- Put in place good whelping and kennel management and ensure the pups are well socialised and in a loving and caring environment and allow you to view the mother and living environment.
- Have a limited number of litters a bitch can produce in a year.
- Not sell to pet shops.
- Has a minimum age that puppies are to be before selling to a new home (8 weeks is the minimum but some breeders insist on 12 weeks to ensure the pup is socialised).
- Will have an in-depth knowledge of their dogs and breed standard
- Discuss with you the breed's suitability for your situation
- 'Vet' you as a suitable home, to ensure you are fully aware of your responsibilities
- Will take back an adult dog if your circumstances change.
Some ideas to try
There are no products to list in this category.